English (US) | Polski
Georg Stage

Georg Stage

Georg Stage is a name used by the independent foundation Georg Stages Minde that was established in 1882 by the shipowner Frederik Stage and his wife Thea. They recognized the need for better skills assessment and training of Denmark's sailors so the ship serves as a training-platform for sailors in Denmark. The first Georg Stage was built by the shipyard Burmeister & Wain on Refshaleøen in Copenhagen, Denmark. It was a fully rigged ship with a length of 36 m (118 ft), compared to 54 m (177 ft) of the "new" Georg Stage. The ship had a 50 metric horsepower (49 hp) auxiliary engine and a crew of 80 sailors in training and 10 officers. On 25 June 1905 Georg Stage was in a collision with the English steamship Ancona in Hollænderdybet. The collision resulted in Georg Stage sinking, causing the deaths of 22 sailors in the program. Following the collision an eyewitness noted the following. It was a great help for us, when the Swedish steam ship Irene, put light on the collision site, using her fine lights, which eased the rescue operation a lot. Our own great boat was put into the water, but rolled over and some of the sailors in training had to hold onto the great boat, until the boat from Ancona reached us. The Georg Stage was raised, refitted and continued as a training ship until 1934, when it was put into retirement. It was bought and saved by an Australian, Alan Villiers, who renamed the ship Joseph Conrad after the Polish novelist. It went on a two-year-long tour starting in Ipswich (England) on 22 October 1934 and visit cities such as New York City (United States), Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Cape Town (South Africa) and Sydney (Australia) as well as islands such as New Zealand and Tahiti. The ship ended its tour in New York on 16 October 1936 and Villiers then published two books about the tour: The Cruise of the "Conrad" and Stormalong. Villiers went into bankruptcy following the tour and the ship was sold to the American millionaire George Huntington Hartford. Hartford updated the engine and for three years used the ship as yacht and participating in a race between the USA and Bermuda and bavc. In 1939 the ship was sold off to the Maritime Commission of USA for US$1.01. The ship once again went into service as a training ship until 1945, when it went into dock for two years and then transferred to the Museum of America and the Sea, Mystic Seaport.

wikipedia.org